Friday 10 April 2020

4mm China Clay Wagon Tarpaulins.

 The China Clay wagons I bought are a bit of a mixture. Two well weathered brown, one slightly weathered brown and a pristine grey one. Two also came with hoods which are wrong for my timescale.

So, what to do about tarpaulins? I looked around and tried some tissue paper- too thin. Then I found some Superquick paving sheets. The reverse side is light grey so cut a few bits to size, scrunched them up and folded to fit a wooden former I had made.

Once the glue securing the corners had dried I gave each one a thin coating of Mod Podge. Again when dry, a mix of acrylic blue and grey was partially mixed giving a streaked look when painted. Probably the colour is too bright but Tarps weathered in different ways due to age etc. Cork coloured cotton was wrapped around each tarp and secured where necessary with superglue.
 The results to my mind is quite pleasing and a fair replica of a sheeted china clay wagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment