Wednesday 30 September 2020

00 Gauge Sprat and Winkle couplings.

 

There are two possible sizes of Sprat and Winkle couplings to choose from to use with 00 gauge stock.

On the left is the 4mm scale designated one which is for remote uncoupling and shunting. So, after looking at the original type seems somewhat oversize.

The option is to use the 3/4mm scale ones which are a lot smaller and neater.



 

 The 4mm size is shown attached to a Bachmann Toad Brake Van which to my mind looks far too big.

So, another order to Wizard Models resulted in an etch of 3/4mm couplings which are a lot neater and enable closer coupling. As St Mewan is a small layout ,tight curves are not an issue so reduced distance between vehicles is possible.




Then I found these on a well known auction site which, on arrival had the smaller type fitted.                     
Shown here is one of the wagons as received with the coupling made with the mounting plate- a lot neater I think you will agree. So after that I have decided on the 3/4mm type.     My biggest problem is making and fitting the 3 links to attach to the paddle to enable magnetic uncoupling. My eyesight wont enable me to assemble them without a lot of frustration.             
This is my attempt at fitting the couplings. instead of assembling on a mounting plate some .4mm holes to thread the wire through were drilled in the wagon base.
Loops are bent from .33 nickel silver wire and superglued in the holes so that, if required, the original couplings could be refitted with a minimum of damage.
So, now I am on a roll and waiting for some preformed links from H&A Models.

1 comment:

  1. Swear by them , dont always use the 'plate but good to use it on Bachmann wagons as they are flat underneath.

    ReplyDelete